When it comes to meal prep, I'm a huge fan of making a big pot of soup and enjoying it throughout the week with a salad, a side of roasted vegetables or toasted baguette. This week's recipe is a soup that's become a go-to when I'm craving something earthy and warm during chillier months.
Parsnip, Pear and Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 parsnips, diced into small pieces
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 D'Anjou pear
- A carton of chicken stock (for a Vegan soup, use vegetable stock)
- One can of coconut creme
- Two cloves of garlic, diced
- 1/4 onion, finely chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- Garam masala
- Smoked paprika
- 1/2 a lemon
- Toss diced parsnips and sweet potato in olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast for about half an hour at 375 degrees.
- While the veggies are roasting, saute garlic and onion in a large pot until translucent. Add the pear and cook on low-medium heat until soft.
- Remove roasted veggies from the oven and add them to the pot (add a bit more olive oil, if needed).
- Turn burner up to medium-high heat. Add stock, bay leaves and sage.
*At this point I'd grab an extra tasting spoon and start seasoning. Oftentimes, I don't measure any of the seasonings I use in recipes, so tasting as you go and seasoning to your liking is recommended.
- Once all the veggies reach a soft consistency, add the can coconut creme to the pot Note: the soup is gonna taste very coconut forward. Again play with the seasonings and let the soup come to a light boil so the flavors marry; continue to taste.
- Once you've achieved an ideal profile, remove the bay leaves, remove the soup from the stove and allow to cool down.
- Grab your blender and start adding small portions to it. Carefully purée soup in small batches until it's all blended. Add each blended batch to a clean pot.
- Once all the soup is blended, squeeze the juice from half a lemon to the soup for a touch of acidity. Stir once more, plate and garnish with a dust or two of nutmeg.
Got a favorite soup combination? Share it in the comments below.