My first introduction to turmeric was in the curry or dhal we'd enjoy at least once a week for dinner at home. With a bit of research you'll discover that this vibrantly-colored culinary spice can be found in Indian and Chinese dishes, and is used in many Ayurvedic recipes due to its healing, anti-inflammatory properties. I've used it in this recipe to make Golden Milk, also known as Turmeric Tea. Blended with warm, nutty almond milk, fresh ginger, a hint of black pepperm, nutmeg, cinnamon and turmeric, this warm beverage is a great one to start the day off with and enjoy with your favorite breakfast pastry.
Golden Milk Tea
- 2 cups of almond milk (I prefer the Califia Farms brand since it foams/whisks nicely)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Small pinch of black pepper
- Small piece of ginger root, sliced
- Pour all ingredients into a small saucepan and heat for about 5 minutes on medium-heat until hot.
- Remove from heat and whisk.
- Pour into cups and enjoy immediately.